Sunday, September 7, 2008

One rainy Sunday in DF






I woke up this morning at 10 to a phone call from my mother. She wanted to know how she could reach my Mexican cell phone. Within the city you need to dial 044 to call a cell phone from a land line, but apparently it is not necessary when calling from abroad. Sorry about that, Mom.

Noon came around and I decided to take a stroll through my neighborhood, Roma. Right out my front door there was an art sale. Every Saturday and Sunday, artists display their work along one of the main streets in the area. The "Corredor de Arte Roma", as it is called, is only one of the reasons why Roma is known as Mexico City's art district. Many of the paintings were brightly colored works of modern art. Among the artwork, people were selling used books, original black and white photographs, housewares and a number of collector's items.

From the "Corredor de Arte Roma", I walked through the plaza called Rio de Janiero. Couples sat and chatted away on the benches. People played catch with their dogs. A homeless man slept on the bench.

My second to last stop was Casa LAMM, which is a cultural center a block away from my house. I was utterly pleased to finally see the newly inaugurated exhibitions on photographs of India. Aside from admiring the artwork, I realized that Sunday is not dress-down day. I was arguably the worst dressed person in the gallery in my over-sized, thrift shop blouse, jeans and moccasins. Everyone else had put on their Sunday best: suits, elegant sweaters, slacks and fine scarves.

Finally, I went to the super, also known as the grocery store. I made it out of there with a basketfull of fruit, vegetables, garbanzos, frijoles negros, tomatillo sauce and a kilo of tortillas, all for 10 dollars. Not too shabby.

No comments: